The importance of addressing internal and cross-border disaster displacement has been increasingly recognised.
For an overview of the application of law in various disaster contexts, including displacement, see our Information Sheets.
Relevant international organisations
- The Platform on Disaster Displacement was established in 2017 as an inter-governmental forum on disaster displacement. The main objective of the Platform is to follow-up on the work of the Nansen Initiative on Cross-Border Disaster Displacement (which ran between 2012-2015), and to implement the recommendations of the Nansen Initiative Protection Agenda, which was endorsed by 109 governmental delegations during a Global Consultation in October 2015.
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM – The UN Migration Agency) has been at the forefront of research, policy and practice in environmental and disaster displacement for many years. Their Environmental Migration Portal provides an extensive range of materials and information on the topic.
- The Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC) was set up in 1998 at the request of the international community to fill an important knowledge gap on the global scale and patterns of internal displacement. The IDMC provides credible and timely data on global internal displacement, interprets this data with research into the drivers, patterns and impacts of internal displacement, and translates this evidence into targeted advice and support to inform global, regional and national policy-making.
- F. Gemenne & R. McLeman (eds), Routledge Handbook of Environmental Displacement and Migration (Routledge, 2018)
- D. Manou, A. Baldwin, D. Cubie, A. Mihr & T. Thorp (eds), Climate Change, Migration and Human Rights: Law and Policy Perspectives (Routledge, 2017)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM – The UN Migration Agency), Internal Displacement Monitoring Report (Oct – Dec 2015)
- UN, Guiding Principles on Internal Displacement (1998/2004)
- The Nansen Initiative, Agenda for the Protection of Cross-Border Displaced Persons in the Context of Disasters and Climate Change (2015)